Home Services Church & Community Life Contacts
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google Bookmarks
Share on Reddit
Share on Stumble Upon
Share via e-mail
St G Home The Parish History StG PCC StG Galleries Windows Appeal Contacts
Saint George the Martyr Wolverton

St George’s was built in 1843 as the District Church of St George the Martyr, Wolverton Station. It owes its existence to the London and Birmingham Railway Company, which opened the world’s first trunk railway in 1838, and its decision to site the important midway station and railway works in the parish of  Wolverton.  The church was built to provide a place of worship for the inhabitants of the new company town and was paid for by the railway company, with the help of the Radcliffe Trust. It is the world’s first railway town church, beating St Mark’s Swindon into second place!

The new church was built to designs of the firm of Wyatt and Brandon, in local Cosgrove limestone, with dressings of red sandstone from Hollington in Staffordshire. It originally consisted of a nave and small chancel, with lancet windows in the Early English style. Its landmark feature is the tower at the NE corner of the nave, housing one bell and, and a porch in its ground floor. It is the only church tower with a spire in Milton Keynes, although relatively puny in comparison with the medieval steeple of Hanslope on the other side of the Ouse valley.


1